11/15/2010

SalesGiants interviews Daniel M. Wood, author of Double Your Income

Daniel M. Wood, author of Double Your Income,
www.lookingtobusiness.com

Daniel M. Wood believes that becoming successful is a confusing journey. It is a dream most of us don’t dare believe will become reality. We don’t know what to do or how to reach the goals we dream of. Frankly we don’t even know the definition of success and sadly we often don’t even dare to try, out of fear that we might fail. 

But you can follow in the footsteps of others who have succeeded and emulate them. You can find a path that suits you. You can use techniques that have helped hundreds. Doing that will make you believe in the dream again. Start garnering the tools you will need on your trip to success in this interview with Daniel M. Wood.


About your e-book:

1) Daniel, let's begin by talking about your e-book, Double Your Income. What's the idea behind the book? Why did you write it?

I started righting my e-book at the same time as I started my blog, for the same reason, I have worked in sales close to 8 years now and I have learned a lot. The most significant thing I have learned is how much I like to coach and help others.

This has affected my whole life, not only in work, but I also coach a Norwegian baseball team.
I have found my passion.That is why I started this blog and I wrote the e-book Double Your Income - to give a baseline for what mindset is required to succeed.

2) In a short sentence, who should read your book? What kind of advice should they be looking for?

It is written for young salesmen who want to quickly move into the top 1%. It is about the mindset you need to succeed.

3) On the other hand, who shouldn’t? What will readers NOT find in your book?

I am at the moment writing a new e-book "How to make selling easy" which talks about the sales process and goes more in depth into the details of selling. If you are looking for hands on techniques and practices this book will be much more to your liking.

4) What's the first thing someone should do after reading your book?

Do an inventory of yourself: what are your strong points? Your weak points? What do you need to improve? Step 2 would be to take action and start improving.


About your website:

5) What has been the most popular article posted in your blog ? Why do you think that is?

My breakthrough article that brought my traffic from about 20 visitors a day up too about 150 visitors per day is http://lookingtobusiness.com/personal-growth/how-to-activate-your-subconscious-mind-and-unlock-its-potential it really changed my blogging situation.

In it I discuss how you can unlock the door to your subconscious and get more out of your life. How you can solve problems 24 hours/day and quickly improve on any task you wish to improve.

The reason it was so popular is (part luck) that it is something we all want to do, we all want to improve and get better. We want to improve 24 hours/day. That is why the TV-shop training bands you see where you just plug it in and it works out your abs whilst you watch TV are so popular.  They help you improve even when you aren't working on it actively. That is what I shared in the article.

6) Besides your website (http://www.lookingtobusiness.com/), what other sales websites would you recommend?

There are a lot of great sites out there and it is hard to just pick 1 or two. I have made many friends since I started blogging and most of them run great blogs. I would recommend you take a look at:


7) How about your preferred sales/business books?

If we only look at sales and business, meaning books by Napoleon Hill on personal development would not be counted, I would have to say Philip Kotler’s books are a must read and I am a big fan of Brian Tracy.


Marketing 3.0: From Products to Customers to the Human Spirit   Maximum Achievement: Strategies and Skills That Will Unlock Your Hidden Powers to Succeed



About you:

8) How did you get started in sales?

Actually it started with me looking for a job over the summer. I had applied for about 10 different jobs in lots of different industries, they all turned me down. Then one day I read this article in the newspaper "Contacts is what gets you a job". So I started asking all my friends if they knew someone or somewhere I could apply.

One of my friends had heard of a company well known for their promoting from within and great salaries, he advised me to apply. I sent in my application and 2 days later I was at the office, it turned out that it wasn't a summer job, but I was making more than both my parents together, so I figured I might as well stay in the industry. I worked there for 4 years before moving on.

9) Most memorable sale?

My first larger deal. I had been working for about 6 months for the company. I was doing alright and was seen as a promising future salesman. The month before I had spent 2 weeks getting this one prospect to try out our products (we sold job board ads). He bought a small package of 2 ads and used one at once. The second we saved to later.

After 2 weeks he called me up and said, "Daniel, you know ad packages?" "Yes?" "Well, uhm..." 10 minutes later he had bought a package of 30 ads. It was the largest sale that month and the easiest sale I have ever made.

10) Most disastrous sale (or funny situation)?

This is also a story from the beginning of my career. It wasn't a sale but it was a pretty surprising situation.

I was still selling job board ads. I called up a company and started to introduce us. Quickly the customer started asking questions, trying to catch me saying something untrue. He asked me "How many visitors per month do you have?" I thought he said "visits" so I answered 200 000 visits per month. Little did I know that he had already visited our page, found out about page and seen where it says 60 000 unique visitors/month.

He went mad, he just started screaming and screaming saying I was a liar. I tried to reply, trying to explain that I hadn't meant unique visitors. But he kept cutting me off. At last I got stood up and started screaming back and then just hung up.

The whole office was looking at me (I generally am a pretty quiet salesman) and then burst out laughing. I didn't know what to say, but I started laughing as well.


About your work as a sales expert:

11) What is the biggest mistake you see as a sales expert?

Every time I have been at a seminar with my colleagues or held a seminar myself you see everyone nodding in agreement. Thinking the advice given is great and should be used. But once the seminar is over, nothing happens. People go home and keep on doing what they were doing before, not everyone mind you, but much to many.

12) What is the best sales advice you have ever received?

When your customers are evaluating your offers they won't do it rationally, they do it based on emotion, they aren't looking at the features of your product, they are looking at you. You have to be someone they want to do business with.

***

To know more about Daniel M. Wood, author of Double Your Income, visit http://www.lookingtobusiness.com

No comments:

Post a Comment