11/06/2010

SalesGiants Interviews Marcus Sheridan, From TheSalesLion blog



Marcus Sheridan teaches businesses how to create awesome web content that leads to traffic, sales, and growth. For the last 10 years, he’s owned his own business in the swimming pool and hot tub industry and his SalesLion blog is a reflection of his thoughts about Sales/Marketing/Web 2.0, Blogging, Self-Improvement, Motivation, and of course, the roller coaster that is owning a business. 

1) Let's begin by talking about your website. In a short sentence, Marcus, who should visit www.thesaleslion.com

The Sales Lion is a mosh-pit of sales, marketing, and self-improvement advice. What makes it unique is that I simply don’t write about something unless I’ve personally ‘been there, done that’. Everything is real, frank, and applicable to just about anyone or any business looking to get better.

2) On the other hand, who shouldn’t? What will readers NOT find in your website?

I’m not a Tech Nerd. In other words, I’m like the 99% of the world that doesn’t know HTML, code, and every new piece of technology that comes out. Notwithstanding, I teach people, many of which are average Joes, how to blow-up their business—be it sales, marketing, website tips, you name it.

3) Besides yours, what other sales websites would you recommend? 

Dang, there are a bunch out there. To me, sales and marketing are the same thing in the information age. They’re inseparable. But in terms of straight ‘sales’, I’d strongly recommend Paul Castain’s : http://yoursalesplaybook.com/ -- The guy is a tremendous writer and motivator, and he is freaking hilarious to boot…In terms of marketing and thought leadership, I’d urge anyone to check out Seth Godin’s (http://sethgodin.typepad.com/) or Chris Brogan’s (http://www.chrisbrogan.com/) blog.

4) How about your preferred sales/business books?

Every book out there right now, at least in my opinion, is simply a follow-up to Carnegie’s “How to Win Friends and Influence People”. Fact is, if every sales person had that one book alone and mastered its principles, they’d be the best in their chosen field. I’m not exaggerating here at all. Carnegie was a genius.

How To Win Friends and Influence People


5)      What's the first thing someone should do after visiting your website?

See my photos at the bottom right of the page. I want viewers to feel like they know me, my family, and that I’m just like them. Relationships are what I’m after, so let’s get to know each other. I learn more from my readership than they do from me, which is why I love being a part of the blogosphere community.


About you:

6) How did you get started in sales?

I started a swimming pool company right out of college. This position forced me as a 23 year old kid to sell $50k plus pools to people who were my parent’s age. But it was through this process of owning a business that consisted of retail and in-home sales that I was able to refine my systems and become great at what I do.

7) Most memorable sale? 

My system of building trust and selling is unique in many ways. In fact, I always tell clients that upon our first meeting, I expect to earn their business at that time. In other words, I’m there to sell. (To me, SELL is not a bad word. [Sorry Tom Hopkins] The only thing bad about it can be the sales person’s approach.) But the word itself is what makes the world go round.

For example: I once was in a meeting with a couple regarding their swimming pool purchase. At the end the presentation the husband looked at me and said, “Thanks for all this information Marcus. We like what we see. Can we let you know something tomorrow?”

To which his wife looked over and replied to him, “Honey, Marcus didn’t come here tonight so you’d let him know something tomorrow.”

Needless to say, I walked out of their home that evening with a check, and it was all made possible because I told them both beforehand the purpose of my visit was to sell them a pool at that time.


About your blog work:

8) What is the biggest mistake you see as a sales expert? 

There is a huge lack of education-based sales and marketing in this world. With the internet, the ‘sale’ starts long before the first meeting with a client. Sales professionals must be great teachers. They must learn to think exactly like their customers. By so doing, they can truly answer the needs and concerns their customers have regarding their products. Sadly, too many ‘sales experts’ suffer from The Curse of Knowledge and therefore relate very poorly to their client base.

9) What is the best sales advice you have ever received?

See the world as a question. This simple statement taught me to ask questions…all the time…without stop. I want to hear from clients. I reality, they don’t want so much to hear about me until I’ve fully heard from them. Great questions are the only way to make this a reality.

10)  What are you working on right now that makes you feel energized? What's your next big project?

I’m doing more and more public speaking. In fact, I see myself as a very average writer, but I’m a pretty darn good vocal communicator. My blog is the platform for my voice, but it’s also the means by which businesses learn about the way I see the world and then invite me to share my thoughts and ideas with them.

11)  What is the best testimonial/comment you have ever received? 

Gosh, this one is tough. I’ve been blessed to receive some tremendous comments. The ones that tend to bring me the most happiness have to do with an individual or company that has embraced a new way of thinking or doing and now feels completely empowered to reach their goals. People so often know they want to be successful but just don’t know how they’ll get there. I teach them how to get there. Once they see this vision, everything about them, whether it be temporal, physical, or spiritual; changes for the better. It’s an amazing process.

***

You can learn more about Marcus Sheridan and his work here: www.TheSalesLion.com

No comments:

Post a Comment